Haleiwa Bay is located on the North Shore of Oahu Hawaii Coordinates: 21°35′24″N 158°6′50″W You can drive there or take bus 55 from Waikiki for the cost of $2.50.
It is a popular tourist spot for viewing turtles that eat the grass growing abundantly on the rocks lining the shore, and busloads of tourists come and go waving cameras as they follow the guide keeping to his schedule. From the car park you walk through a sandy area of coconut trees to the rocky area where the turtles inhabit the rock pools
Fast Facts About the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles (Honu)
- Adult sea turtles are often found in shallow lagoons, feeding mostly on different species of sea grasses.
- The average green sea turtle lives to be 80 years of age.
- Entire generations often migrate between one pair of feeding and nesting areas.
- They typically swim at about 1.6-1.9 MPH.
- Sea turtles spend nearly all their lives underwater, but must breathe air for the oxygen needed to meet the demands of vigorous activity.
You must be logged in to post a comment.