I kept calling Laura to find if the river was down and was told it had gone down and was going up again and that I had to be here to catch it when it went down, so I drove back to Laura on the 11th January . The river was still high with no-one able to cross. Cars were banked on the other side waiting. Finally on the 14th I was told the river was falling. It was now 1.2 metres over the bridge
As the river was dropping cars were lining up to wait for when they were able to cross the river. It was far too high for my Toyota HiAce. I had to wait until the bridge was visible and the water almost flat. This would be about midnight, so I was told to pack the van and be ready to cross first thing in the morning.